Monday 27 April 2015

Memory keeping: Project Life (an introduction).




A couple months ago I was looking for a way to store my family memories. A plain photo album seemed to boring to me. And I'm not completely into "scrap booking". That big 12 x 12 blank page staring at me was just to intimidating. Also,I couldn't find any scrapbook papers and supplies I really liked. I was looking for fresh, clean, modern. All I could find was cute, flowery, and sentimental.

I finally figured out a solution with project life. It is a simple, easy, clean , memory keeping system by Becky Higgins.  All you need is the page protectors, a basic kit, and some pictures. You can just slot everything in and be done. Or you can colour and embellish till your hearts content.



Now, where it gets a bit confusing is with all the different cards and "editions" you can buy. First of all you don't need any of this. If you want to spend less money. you can use any paper, and a corner punch to make cards to slot in the pockets. I, do use a lot of the project life theme cards. I like them, and I'm way to lazy to cut them all out. It would make it more time consuming and I probably would not get as much done. That's just how I work. Also, the small packs are not that expensive. Less then a tenner.

Basic terminology :

Page protectors: The plastic covering for your cards and pictures. They come in a range of sizes and styles. They are labelled " Design A" "Design B" ext.. Just make sure they are 12 x 12 (If that's your album size) as they do a few sizes.


Album: Your main cover album you are putting all your pages in.



Page: A single page you are working on

Spread: When you are working on more then one page of the same theme.

layout :The arrangement or design of either your page protectors or journaling pictures and cards.

core kit: An edition of papers of a certain theme. ( example: school, dreamy, jade, blush, midnight)
that contains 616 cards both 3x4 and 4x6. usually around £30.
                             
Value kits: Packs of  180 cards 60 4x6 and 120 3x4, sometimes with some embellishments around
£15


Theme cards: Small packs of  40 double sided cards on a particular theme. 32 3 x 4 cards and 8 4x6 cards. around £5


Title cards: Cards with graphics and pictures on them one section usually open so you can write a title or word.

Journaling cards: Cards with lines on them and/or open space so you can place them with photos and write whats happening in the photo or just a little journaling.


Becky Higgins is constantly coming out with great new stuff for this system of scrap booking. She also has guest designers come out with editions like Amy Tangerine and Heidi swapp.

 I hope this helped you understand a bit more about the project life system. It is really easy, I swear! I also love that is something I can bring up to bed and do. Most of my other crafts are messy and inky. With project life I can sit up in bed and cut,design, and journal my butt off. (much to my husbands dismay lol). Here are a few more examples of some different pages, spreads, and layouts I have put together.









  I Cant wait to show you guys more about the project life system. To check out all the products to buy here is the link to craftie charlie. They have great free shipping in the u.k on orders over £40, and ship worldwide as well. This is really only a sample of the products. They sell the components to build your own day planner using the PL slot in style. I'm getting ahead of myself though. Ill save those things for another post. Thanks so much for stopping by today and don't forget to follow me here, and also on instagram.  x

                                                               Stay creative, -Kass

2 comments:

  1. THIS is a great post Kass! Serious...I was thinking about this..i have a ton of my daughters college pics and still have done nothing with them. I too dont care for traditional cutesy scrap booking and really didnt know anything about PLife. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No probably Jane, thanks for commenting! We are memory keepers and prima are two others that make cards that fit the pockets. Other lines call them "my life" or "this life". X

      Delete